tP mode toolbar includes 3 sections:
- Link Settings - estimation method and requirements to the radio parameters.
- Site 1 parameters - coordinates, antenna height, device model.
- Site 2 parameters - the same parameters as for the site 1.
For convenient work with InfiPLANNER for each site in the toolbar displays the mast pictogram. If it is displayed without radio signals, it means that the configuration of each of the sites is not completed. If the radio signal is present, then the sites are configured and you can review the estimation results.
Link Estimation Method
In PtP mode two link estimation methods are available:
- Geo-Located - the main estimation method using which the expected equipment location is positioned on the map. This method provides the most accurate estimation of the wireless link characteristics.
- Calculator - method without device positioning on the geographic map. Thus, it can be used at the earliest stages of the wireless network deployment, when the sites location are not yet known and preliminary calculations need to be made. In this case, a simplified radio wave propagation model will be applied, the results of which are less accurate than the results obtained using the geo-located method.
Estimation method is selected in the "Link Settings" section.
First of all, you need to define the wireless link parameters by selecting the frequency range and central frequency in the "Channel Settings" section. Your selection will determine the list of available devices. If you set the center frequency to 3.5 GHz, only models that can operate at this frequency will be available. Next, set the channel width value by first selecting the number of carriers. Some device models receive and transmit simultaneously on two frequencies. In conclusion, you can set a limit on the maximum transmit power, this may be required if there are regulatory restrictions on the maximum radiation power.
Device Location Coordinates
Device location coordinates must be specified. This can be done by the following ways:
- Sites positioning - by default, sites are placed in an arbitrary location within the visible area of the working space. If you have multiple links, the first site of the newly created link will be installed at the place where the second site of the previous one is installed.
- Coordinates positioning - is performed in the "Site Settings" section. Here you can specify the coordinates manually, or use the search by locality name, address, company name, etc.
In order to prevent sites displacement use coordinates blocking function by clicking on lock image next to coordinates input field.
In order to quickly navigate to the site on the map, move cursor over the "Site Settings" heading section and click on the centering icon.
Maximum visibility between two antennas must be obtained during coordinate installation. This can be done by selecting the most optimal sites locations (on a plain or on top of hills/mountains), as well as changing the antennas height.
The visibility control is performed with the path profile.
You can find the following information on the path profile :
- The antenna height of each site. This parameter value can be changed from the path profile and "Site Settings" section of the toolbar.
- The terrain profile and distance between sites.
The first Fresnel zone and its overlapping. The most preferable is the complete absence of obstacles in the Fresnel zone.
The terrain profile in InfiPLANNER does not take into account artificial obstacles (buildings, towers, etc.), as well as the type of the earth surface, for example, trees. This feature should be taken into account when determining the device location, as well as the antenna height.
Since the use of the "Calculator" method does not involve the sites positioning on the map, unlike the geo-located, you will need to define a number of additional parameters:
- Terrain and climate types.
- Estimation type:
- Distance - the wireless link will be estimated for the specified distance. Thus, the possible availability will be determined in the estimation results.
- Availability - the wireless link will be estimated for the set availability level. The maximum distance on which specified availability will achieve will be determined in the estimation results.
When using the "Calculator" method the devices location coordinates are not specified, path profile is also unavailable.
Equipment selection and Estimation results
The link estimation results are available in a special "Equipment & Results" view that includes three main steps:
- Device model selection for the site 1.
- Device model selection for the site 2.
- Estimation results.
If you select a device model without an integrated antenna, you must also specify the type of RF cable and the external antenna model.
In order to select the optimal model you can at any time return to one of the previous steps, which allows you to quickly replace the device and re-estimate the results. You can also select the device model directly from the toolbar in the "Site Settings" section.
How to read the estimation results
The results are presented in summary and detail forms. The summary report allows you to make an overall estimation of the planning link. It includes the following information:
- Links parameters and device models for each site.
- Modulation scheme and link characteristics for maximum availability.
- Modulation scheme and link characteristics for maximum throughput.
The characteristics for each modulation scheme can be find via "Detailed performance report" link.
Links Comparison Mode
While planning link you may want to compare the characteristics of multiple links or the same one, but with different device models.
Different Links Comparison
In the links list point to icon of those links you want to compare.
The selected links will be displayed in comparison mode with the following features:
- Antennas height changing.
- Devices models selection.
- Modulation scheme selection.
One Link Comparison
In order to compare the characteristics of the same link but with different models, it is enough to select only this link. Then, in the comparison mode click on "Add link to compare", that will create a temporary link copy.
Let us suppose that during comparison you find that other models are more suitable than the ones you have earlier selected. In this case you can change the temporary copy to the primary by clicking on "Make primary".